View Single Post
Old 16-01-2013, 09:34 AM
acotiga (Andrei)

Let me ellaborate.

Normally one would position the mount as level as possible, align with compass (magnetic deviation or not), align for latitude. Power up, slew to one star, sync, 2nd star, sync and 3rd star, sync. Then do drift alignment or Allstar..whatever. The 3 star alignment would create a skewed triangle to compensate for a miriad of errors but because it's easier to be level than to be perfectly N-S, the biggest contribution to the overall errors will be from Azimuth. That why, even when I'm very carefull with my compass, PA is usually 3-5 deg out of AZ and 1-3 deg of EL. That is requiring me to make a huge compensation when I start drifting.

Now, considering that AZ and EL will be the biggest source of erros, what I am suggesting is powering up, slewing. The distance between the slew and the star will then be covered by moving the actual mount. Reset RA and dec to 6hr and 90deg. Powering on and slewing again should be better than it was the first time. Only then, after hopefully killing 3 deg of your errors, start honing in on the others by doing drift, 3 star alignment and so on.

Mmm? Any ideas?