View Single Post
Old 23-09-2009, 09:55 PM
gregbradley

There is a mono version of the 50 megapixel. But the low QE is a turn off.

Also the file size would be enormous. Richard Crisp has done some images using the Proline 39 megapixel colour and they had huge files. Gigabytes for a usual image. Still the images look less than what you get with the 16803 chip.

So as far as I can see with Kodak the 16803 and 8300 chips are the cream of the current crop. The 09000 chip suffers badly from ghost images (residual bulk images or RBI).

The proline and Apogee both have an RBI annihilator but it requires Maxin DL to run it and it also increases the noise as it consists of preflashing the chip with infrared before the exposure to saturate the substrate and it needs excellent cooling so that charge does not leak unduly during your long exposure. It does add to the noise regardless so preferable not to use it unless your getting ghost images from a previous bright exposure. Another reason why powerful cooling is ideal for CCD imaging.

My Proline 16803 is almost noiseless at -35C more so than my excellent Apogee U16M I swapped for it. Also it cools to -35C in about 8 minutes versus approx. 30 minutes for the U16M. The Microline 8300 cools 57C below ambient and will hit -40C on a 13C night in about 5 minutes or less and is virtually noiseless.

Greg