View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 08:35 AM
issdaol (Phil)

Went out and fitted the replacement Mewlon 300 Back Plate with the TEMPEST fans to the OTA.

This was very quick because the backplate was exactly the same as the original, so all that was required was to remove the retaining ring, take off the original plate and position the new cooling plate in its place.

Made sure that the fans were all signed up roughly centre to the gaps in the mirror cell and tightened up the retaining ring.

All done in one or 2 minutes

Powering was just a matter of plugging in the external 12v cigarette lighter plug lead into the jack Matt mounted in the plate.

All the fans powered up fine and were a little bit noisier than expected but when one remembers I now have 6 fans installed into a aluminium backplate its nor that bad.

Let the fans run for an hour and there was definitely good airflow.....as we could feel slightly warm air being pushed out of the front of the OTA so they were doing their job (the hairdryer effect )

Based on my usual experience, running the fans effectively reduced acclimation time and gave me back an hour extra of viewing.

Im planning on making a small control box with a potentiometer so I can run the fans while viewing at reduced speed and have a on/off switch rather than just the plug

Added some pics of the build and final product:
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1291.jpg)
44.2 KB65 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1292.jpg)
21.5 KB47 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1728.jpg)
20.9 KB61 views