Thread: Hi I'm new here
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 06:40 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filippo View Post
I’m in Melbourne metro, on a balcony, with a 4SE.

I bought it because I figured it was easily portable and storage at my place is fairly limited. I also thought it’s a pretty beautiful scope to look at...which is probably the stupidest reason to buy a telescope.
When I saw the 4SE at my nearest Australian Geographic shop, I also reckoned it looked absolutely cool.
Thankfully I was able to resist the temptation to impulse buy.

Quote:
The light pollution here is absolutely terrible and, to be honest, I’ve been a bit disappointed. I know I need to get in the car and go to dark sites...but I’d hoped for a bit of a better experience on my balcony.
Same hassle I'm having in summer here in Brisbane. Severe light pollution, to the point where I only see 3 stars with my naked eyes, between about 6:30pm and 11pm.
When I bought my telescope back in late July, I was spoilt for how much I could see. With summer, that has dropped off chronically.

Quote:
Seeing Saturn through my new 12mm Saxon Cielo was just incredible though. That really blew my socks off.
I also use the Saxon Cielo HD eyepieces. I've got the 12mm and the 6.5mm, and they're a great step up from the supplied stock eyepieces.
For me, the highlight was Jupiter. The amount of detail I could see was brilliant.