View Single Post
Old 17-07-2017, 03:49 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_draco View Post
Building a R.O.R. a.t.m. and put the first of the rollers together today. That went well enough but has introduced a potential issue.

The roof itself will weigh in at about 250kg when done and I don't fancy trying to stop it if it builds up any velocity.... and really don't want to chase it down the side of the mountain where I am building.

It'll be automated at some point but does anyone have a basic breaking system design that I can use to start with. Don't really want to look at hanging weights, (for the obvious reason), if I can avoid it....

Rom
Hi draco,

If you are concerned about the roof rolling away too easily or building up too much speed, then you could simply increase the rolling resistance / friction by either, adding a couple of additional rubber wheels which are adjustable for preload and hence rolling friction on some part of the track, frame or roof structure or you could use a rubber pad with adjustable preload (even a nylon pad with enough preload) against which the roof would slide. Then when you are ready to automate your roof remove the speed limiting devices.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 17-07-2017 at 04:11 PM.