View Single Post
Old 02-02-2017, 03:28 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

SN1987A 30th Anniversary.

Hi All,
Well time stands still for no one! 30 years ago on 24/02/1987 Sn1987A was discovered ,
some information here, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SN_1987A
For me it was a interesting story I was away up in the Goulburn river fishing with my late grand father and my uncle, my birthday is in late Feb 19th and we had a week away trout fishing and doing well. I woke one morning and now the dates elude me and I was scanning the sky and looked at the LMC and thought hey that's not right that seems to be a new star!
I said to my family that's star is new it was not there a few days ago they laughed at me I cant be right , I said no that is a new star .
Anyway I could not contact anyone for a few days. Once I got back home I contacted my local Astronomical Society which I was member ASF now the MPAS. And was quickly informed all about the new Nova and soon to be known as SN 1987A . I can not put my dates down accurately but I know the discovery was on 24/02/1987 and Albert Jones in NZ had seen it around that time and I had seen it a little before but told no one as I was fishing LOL.
Anyway once home I took a picture which I have dug out of my shed and I hope I can get it to post.

On the back of the pic has written 5 min exp FL 200mm at F4 Piggy back on 8" Reflector 01/03/1987.

Does not mention film used !

would be interesting to here your story?

Regards David
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sn1987A.pdf (68.3 KB, 37 views)