View Single Post
Old 12-10-2019, 05:56 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
FLI sells a 5/7 filter wheel, that means 50mm round or square filters.

FLI CFW 5/7 is around US$2500 or so. Astrodon 50mm round filters are around AUD$2500. LRGB Ha O111 S11 (5nm). You can get them cheaper from Astronomiks. Not sure if they do a 5nm narrowband.

For a full frame sensor you need 50mm round filters. For larger than full frame you need 50mm square filters.
I see QHY has a larger format filter wheel for around US$1300.
I also saw a 10 slot FLI FW - it was really a 2 x 5 slot, with 8 filled and 2 empty. It was a "balanced" or symmetrical FW - looked interesting if somewhat expensive.

I saw some other 3rd party filter wheels as well. Seems like there's plenty of options.

Given all the other costs, I can see for me some compromises on the filters. I'd like to go larger, but I suspect I'll go for the best 50mm round I can afford at the time.

Quote:
Focusers need to be around 3 inch. Larger if possible but 3 inches I would estimate is close to the minimum. I would opt for a slightly larger focuser. My CFF 105 has a 3.2 inch focuser and it is illuminating my Sony full frame camera quite well.
As was mentioned in another post, the focuser is going to need to be able to handle a bit of weight, so something fairly decent.

Would a Moonlite Nitecrawler be something that could work? There's 3" and 3.5" options. This would solve focuser and rotator then.

Quote:
OAG? There are a few now. Teleskop Services sells one, Optec has a nice looking one including a version with motorised focuser (more for remote imagers). MMOAG is still being sold. Figure about US$700 + shipping so around AUD$1300.
Yes. I think getting parfocal filters will avoid the need to get a(motorised) focuser on the OAG - at least for me anyway.

Quote:
Adapters are around AUD$200 each. I use Josh Bunn on this forum, he did some nice adapters for my CFF recently. A lot cheaper than Precise Parts.
Yes, I've used Josh's services as well.

Quote:
You need a guide camera. Lodestar 2 or Sbig STi or QHY 5. Around $800.
For me, this is probably the one thing I can bring from my existing setup. ASI174 is working well.

Quote:
Software. The Sky X is an all inclusive software and does it all. Not sure what it costs. Probably about $400.
There's more options here that are getting better every day, for example: Voyager (about 120 euros) or NINA (free). ekos/INDI too, of course (free).

Quote:
All these things are more expensive at the moment as the Aussie dollar is at a very low level of about 67 cents so it becomes at least double when you factor in shipping and GST and costs.

Full frame is definitely more expensive but a camera like the QHY600 could
potentially be a very long lasting camera and take some amazing images.
Assuming the binning "works as advertised", it should be a versatile camera.

And, yes, the Aussie dollar is going to be a major problem for these purchases.

Quote:
QHY often package their cameras with an all in one solution like built in filter wheel and guider. Not sure if they will do that with the 600 but it would be nice as it would make everything simpler.
I hope both QHY and ZWO offer this - and offer good setups for it, not just the basics.

Quote:
No need for extra counterweights on the scope except of course on the mount itself.
For some setups, there's a lot of weight at the back of the scope. It might not be possible to push the scope further up the saddle mount to help balance the DEC.

Quote:
A tilt adapter is probably a good thing to have in the imaging train. Better than packers.
I think the ZWO camera has the tilt adapter on it, but comments have indicated that it's not convenient to access, especially if you've got a large FW attached (and guess what, that's very likely). I'm going to factor on putting in a "3rd party" tilt adapter to the image train.