View Single Post
Old 15-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Bolts_Tweed (Mark)

Gday Duncan

Can I back up the guys here - the best investment you will make is a quality focuser like a moonlite (there are others but I like moonlites).

I advise everyone I talk to that is thinking of starting - the first thing is good mount, then optics (but you can achieve good results with limited expense with optics - you dont need an astrophysics refractor when you can take good images with a fast newt) and then by far the next importance is a good focuser.

I use refractors so I dont have experience with Newts but the beauty of the moonlite stepper with the moonlite controller is autofocus - I am virtually blind in one eye and impaired in the other - smile - thats why I image and dont own an eyepiece. Autofocus with FocusMax (free) gives me repeatable excellent results - so for someone that can see it would be even easier.

Apart fromn that Ron Newman from Moonlite is a pleasure to deal with and is happy to give advise.

My vote anyway - I have 3 and i'll probably put another on the astrophysics - sacrilige to some I know but I like them that much

Mark