View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 12:05 AM
Spartacus

Hi Andy,
Just noticed your post.
I am running KStars/EKOS on an Odroid (a bit like a souped up Raspberry Pi). This runs Ubuntu locally at the scope and controls motor focus, guide camera, main camera and mount. Plate solving is achieved by running astrometry.net as a offline solver. I either use the Odroid in headless mode by connecting from a windows 10 laptop using team viewer (this is using Ubuntu remotely) or (and I prefer this as the screen resolution is much better) I connect remotely through my home network (the odroid is connected to a wifi extender by local ethernet). Once you have connected via team viewer to start Kstars and EKOS/INDI on the Odroid/Pi then you can go inside and do everything through Windows. INDI needs to be running on the computer at the scope before you can connect through Windows or iOS. The scheduling is great and allows complete automation of an evenings astrophotography. I have never used a Mac but I can't see it being any different as its the local single board computer (usually a Pi) doing all the work. The Mac just tells the Pi what to do. Just download Kstars and configure your equipment profile and name it the same on your Mac as you have used in the Pi.
I have spent quite a bit of time getting it all to work. Some of the documentation is not as detailed as it could be and often makes assumptions that we all know what they are talking about (not always the case). It is a work in progress.
Look at all the videos and documentation that Jasem has provided about EKOS as it will give you an idea of the level of knowledge you will need to get to to set this up and troubleshoot.
The help forums are pretty good and helping with other people's problems aids in the development of the software.
I suppose you should also check that all your astro gear is supported on this platform before you get too involved. We had issues with getting an Astrophysics mount to work although eventually got there in the end but an EQMOD mount works pretty seemlessly.
An alternative is to purchase the Stellarmate which will come already configured and connect wirelessly with your Mac running Kstars.
Good Luck
Mike