View Single Post
Old 25-07-2018, 10:33 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Hi Wavy,

Chris O'Byrne's calculator works off the 5MCE (Five Millennium Canon of Eclipses) which was produced by Fred Espenak. The eclipse you referred to is December 20, 2029, not 11 days earlier, but 12 synodic months after the new years eclipse on Jan 01, 2029.

The website you are looking at is expressed in UT, the calculator I used is EST, and the data Skysurfer posted December 31 is expressed in UT. The eclipse skysurfer and I listed is time consistent after converting time zones. He did refer to new year's eve 2029 which I can understand may have thrown you off but the circumstances in his post did clearly state Dec 31, 2028.

All circumstances published in this thread are correct and consistent. No huge problem exists with the predictions.

The list I published only lists total eclipses visible from Sydney. It lists the eclipse even if only a penumbral part is visible above the horizon using the grey text to show sub horizon events.

These lists can be confusing to read. It's easy to make mistakes with dates especially with the UT/EST confusion across midnight. When that change occurs across a year change, it's even easier to misread.

This eclipse and the July 16, 2000 are part of the same saros series 129, a series of very long eclipses.
1964 June 101 mins
1982 July 106 mins
2000 July 106 mins
2018 July 103 min
The 1982 & 2000 events were the longest/deepest of the saros and the eclipses of this series are now getting shorter.

So if you are waiting for a longer eclipse to call decent, you'll be waiting a long long time.

kind regards

Joe