View Single Post
Old 23-07-2018, 09:47 AM
PRejto (Peter)

Hello Josh,

You have given me much to think about! I will try to find a dial indicator for sure. One misunderstanding may come from something I've said either in my first message or in our phone conversation. I don't think I have any side to side issue in mounting the laser to the rotator. I'm using a PreciseParts adapter that screws directly into the rotator and holds a Baader Click Lock 2" which is holding a Glatter Paralyzer and finally the Glatter laser. What I see when pointing the laser 12 feet away on a wall is a smallish circle when rotating the laser 360 degrees. This could be due to eccentricity or tilt or both (or laser mis-collimation). I did rotate the laser against the paralyzer and noted only the smallest deviation probably due more to my hand shaking the whole mechanism than mis-collimation of the laser. So, I feel my test is pretty valid. Your suggestion of a dial indicator will resolve whether it is tilt or eccentricity.

I appreciate your suggestion of how I might use the laser to initially square up the mounting of the rotator and the OTA. As I mentioned in my response to Eric, I cannot make any adjustments laterally. I also cannot adjust OTA collimation at all. I hope it is good; if it isn't the only way I can address it is to ship the OTA to Yuri at TEC for a complete rebuild which he has offered to do. His latest design has a collimatable lens cell but it only fits a slightly smaller tube meaning all new fittings and rings. This is a last option!

Thanks for your help!

Peter