View Single Post
Old 09-07-2020, 09:46 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Good to hear of a good outcome, I was reading through and going to post some ovbservations on the ASI294 from my experience. First, I could not see how the cam could cause your artifacts (Hopefully now resolved with a new scope) Second, gain 120, offset 30 seems to be about the sweet spot for the 294. and third, that glow on your 600 second dark is normal for the ASI294. It is inherent in the sensor and all of them display it. It should calibrate out of your lights with a good master dark. A bit of a time investment for 600 second subs but I try to make my master darks with 100 dark frames.

Last one, I dont know about via the filter as it is more or less a multi narrowband and reduces transmission, but without an NB filter, 600 seconds is a sure recipe for bloated, saturated white stars. I did an image of the trifid and lagoon recently and used lots of 120 second subs, most of the time I use 300 seconds as a reasonable compromise between getting faint detail and saturating brighter stars.