Thread: First Telescope
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 07:51 PM
Nightingale

The people who are advising you to get a large Dobsonian without GOTO and tracking are purely and simply giving you the wrong advice..

In fact, if you are a beginner, you should get a GOTO system.. period! even if it is a smaller aperture scope.. You will learn the night sky quicker rather than wasting time looking and tracking yr object.. this will save you a lot of frustrating nights.. believe me, I have been there..

It is actually the other way round.. a larger Dobsonian is actually for more experienced astronomers... as it takes time and patience to find the object, balance your scope with heavy eyepieces and manually track your object...

Do not make the mistake I made! Always get a GOTO as a beginner (whatever type or aperture you can afford).. the mount is by far the most important part of your telescope.. and tracking is very very important.. in a Dobsonian, your beautiful globular cluster would have veered out of your field of view by the time you picked up a new eyepiece to change the magnification..