View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 11:36 PM
DJT (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post

Yep, was heading down that path, but missed out on one in the classifieds still, they're not too expensive new at around $1k, and 1200mm is great, but f8 is VERY slow, maybe even too slow to get sufficient data in one night at a dark site (I don't often get to one, so I would want to make the trip worthwhile)....
Just on this, I have been chasing ARP14, a tiny little galaxy, from Sydney with an RC8 (1628mm, not 1200 per your earlier post) and an older ST2000XM with a 7.2 pixel size. Its doable but needs patience. This was after 6 hours and I need to get more colour data so definitely a WIP, noisy little devil.

ARP14 (NGC7314) A Seyfert Galaxy in Aquarius

No Crop here, it is as presented.

But this would be a struggle if the plan is to do single nights at a dark site. It may work because you get all those dark sky benefits but given that the usual rules apply (alignment issues, chasing collimation in the field, etc,) it might be a struggle, unless you have your setup process nailed completely.

Theres comments about refocussing but these things can hold focus and collimation all night so that's a plus.

Good luck with the search. I have to say, hunting down the unusual galaxies can be addictive