View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 09:27 AM
DannyV (Danny)

Hi John,
I'm remote controlling everything, but I found the following problems
. Usb2 gets overloaded, particularly with image transfer
. Canon DSLR locks up over 10 metres (even over the jacar amplified extension), I had to run the usb via a shielded LAN (cat 5e) cable (see below)
. I got errors from the hand piece (I wanted the hand piece inside) so I wired the hand piece cable to a LAN cable (wire to wire - no swapping) then used the rs232 locally to the handpiece inside - via a 6w to 6w adapter.
. I wired a remote switch inside to turn the power on/off to the mount
. I wired a 12v to 5v converter into my control box to power my usb hubs ( I chained 2 powered hubs in series)
. I also made a higher current 12v to 8v converter for my canon camera, with a remote switch to allow me to switch it off if it locks up.
. I used usb to RJ45 adapters to wire the 10 metres, because I was getting errors with plain usb cable - even with extender amps built in.
. I have several video cameras - all wired in video cable - then via a security system to switch the channel - so I can see the spotter, the W.O. and the main scope all at once).
. moonlite focuser is run via rs232 to rj45 connectors and a lan cable.

All cables on the mount are very thin for three metres from my control box to a connector box, then wire in normal cables back inside.

I have a remote control 4 channel (soon to be upgraded to 9ch) switch to control 12 v things like Canon power supply, demister, camera cooler etc

PS: I'm working to add arduino control, then I can control over the wifi to my mac, but this is a work in progress.

Last edited by DannyV; 08-06-2013 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Arduino