View Single Post
Old 15-04-2013, 12:13 PM
allan gould

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
Photos: I now have both "Southern Gems"and "Imaging the Southern Sky" and am able to compare the photos in each.

O'Meara does explain in Chapter 1 of "Gems" that the object images are reproduced from (and with the permission of) the DSS. That goes some way to explaining what might otherwise be the bland appearance of what are supposed to be sparkling gems.

In their "Imaging "book, Chadwick and Cooper do at least present colour images but through a combination of the paper weight/texture and the reproduction method used, the images are a long way short of being pleasing. They are at best, photocopy standard with the ink balance out of whack and done on cheap paper.

In defence of both, however, it should be said that neither book is for the coffee table. They are meant to be working books in which the reader will generally be content with descriptive images rather than definitive.

Both books will always be very close to my scopes and will be well-thumbed in a very short time. If only I had a reason to roll back the roof and put these books to good use..

Peter
I also have both books and you are completely right Peter. Not coffe table books but to be used at the scope as a working reference.
Allan