View Single Post
Old 16-09-2014, 03:43 PM
niharika

In my opinion either the RF or FT motor can handle it. What it will come down to is the capability of the focuser. My RF on FSQ could handle PL16803 + FW5-7 + MOAG +Sti.

Regards
Raki

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto View Post
Hi all,
I'm thinking of automating focus on my Tak TSA-120 and I'm after some advice.

My Tak has the FeatherTouch upgrade on it already so I could either get the FT motor and a controller (thinking Mount Hub Pro if I go with the FT) or the Robofocus. A quick glance at prices looks like the RoboFocus (including controller) would be a couple of hundred cheaper than the FT plus a MHP. The FT controllers seem quite expensive and more than I need hence why I'm looking at the MHP.

If I got the RF I think I would have to put the original Tak focuser bits back on which is no big deal. Also I should mention that I don't need to have a controller with buttons to change focus as I'd always be controlling it through my lappy and software.

Software wise I was planning to use CCDSoft with Focusmax. TBH I don't really want to spend ~$500 on MaxIm or TSX as, other than focusing, I'm happy with the way my software setup is working ATM.

I've been reading a few old posts here on IIS and I've seen a few times where people have had issues with FocusMax and have ended up just focusing with a baht mask. This seems crazy to me to spend all the money for a motorised setup and then focus manually as I can't see that being too much more accurate than the way I do it now.

I'd be keen to hear any experience from people who have done this sort of thing on Taks with R&P focusers.

Thanks