View Single Post
Old 09-02-2019, 10:03 AM
garymck (Gary)

Hi,
a bit late to this, but my suggestion would be a Skywatcher 12" f5 newt. I own one. I had to do he following mods:

added heavy springs to the mirror cell
Removed mirror clips and spot siliconed the mirror in place
replaced the focuser with Baader Diamond Steeltrack (superb focuser, craps all over Moonlights)
Rounded off the ends of the push screws of the mirror cell and the secondary adjusters
Put a teflon ring between the secondary adjustment screws and the secondary holder
Replaced the double sided tape that holds the secondary on with 3 dots of silicon

After these mods the scope works extremely well and holds collimation well.

Collimation is MUCH less critical than f4 newts.

I have found that Skywatchers cheap .9x coma corrector works very well (although can have the odd reflection when very bright stars like Alnitak are in the field). This drops the f ratio to f4,5. The Baader MPCC similarly works well at F5 but without the reflections.

Dirt cheap at under 2K and works well. I have only used it for testing purposes as when I purchaed it I miscalculated where it would balance and found that it hit the wall of my tiny obs. I liked it so much I have stored it for the future, won't sell it off.

My positive experience with newts means that if I had the cash I would love one of these:
https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...tomizable.html

FWIW
Gary