View Single Post
Old 22-05-2014, 08:05 AM
irwjager (Ivo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcheshire View Post
DSLR RAW data, despite how it might be prepared for processing is vulnerable to the manner in which it is first prepared by the camera and, a number of image processing issues that originate at acquisition. Frankly, I think this is where it all begins, good and bad results.

Furthermore, I think software tends to make assumptions about what we want to do with our data. Besides being aware of DSLR RAW data non-linearity issues and how that might be handled (the readon for this thread) it may be time for a close look at what we should do with our data, rather than what happens to it.

I like the idea of using dcraw options to suit, rather than accepting defaults that presume/make false assumptions about our data. Rah, rah, rah... raise the flag...
Hear hear!

Again, I do find some programs that use dcraw internally better than others in this respect, with PixInsight standing out in particular for keeping the data unadulterated as and clean as possible (what it does to it afterwards is up for debate however )