View Single Post
Old 28-04-2020, 09:58 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
Anyone used a Svbony CLS, clip in or screw on... same glass, same result I presume...

I only want it for if I'm mucking around with the camera in the backyard...

Svbony is nice cheap option at around $80 for a clip in compared with $199 for the Astronomik version or $350 plus for an Optolong L-Pro... but..., I'd rather not blow $80 if it's a rubbish option...

Anyone at all got any experience with these or any other filters that are available in a clip in version for Canon EOS please...
With the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 an in-camera filter is really the only option given the size of the front element and angle of view, but before you buy I'd encourage you to try hard with the no filter option, as I can see some structure in the Milky Way even in the lower-res sample images posted, which may be able to be improved significantly with:
  • Multiple exposure stacking*
  • Exposure to the Right
  • Processing to reduce the appearance of the light pollution

The reason I say that is because I have been amazed with what it is possible to see in the night sky, even from my light polluted backyard, SQM 18.8 mag/arcsec^2 ..... i.e:Bortle Heaps), even with a non-modified DSLR and the above techniques and your sky looks darker to me.

Happy hunting

Best
JA

* Stacking Wide angle lens images will be more challenging, but thankfully the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 is, in the samples I've seen, very low in image abberations at the extremes AND you will not be using all of the image circle of the lens as you will be using it on a crop body DSLR. Given the huge field of view, just watch out for unwanted light at the edge of the frame (street light, etc), which can in certain situations cause image ghost/flare.

Last edited by JA; 28-04-2020 at 10:25 AM.