View Single Post
Old 22-10-2019, 01:50 PM
Quark (Trevor)

Broken Hill Astronomer published in Nature

Nature is the most prestigious peer reviewed science journal in the world and the holy grail of all science researchers, regardless of their field, is to be published there.

Last night the embargo on my latest co-authored Nature paper was lifted as it was published online in Nature Astronomy. This came from the long time collaboration I have had with the lead author Agustin Sanchez-Lavega who included me as a co-author. Agustin is a Professor of Physics, head of Applied Physics and head of the Planetary Sciences Group at the University of the Basque Country in Bilboa Spain.

This paper, of course Saturn, is with regard to a storm in the NPR which evolved from a tiny bright spot in late March 2018 to a quite amazing structure virtually encompassing a whole latitude band approx 8000 klm wide by the time 60 Minutes took me to JPL in July 2018. Carolyn Porco was unaware of the new storm and it is one of the highlights of my life being able to use our producer’s laptop to show her how this had evolved from just a spot into this stunning intricate structure. Her face just lit up, she was just as excited as me.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41550-019-0914-9

Regards
Trevor