View Single Post
Old 21-09-2016, 12:03 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I've never used Canon, But I have used Nikon and old soviet telephoto lenses and extenders for terrestrial photography. I've used x1.4, x2.0 and x3.0 extenders (and yes all at once just because). The x1.4 is almost unnoticable image quality loss and the 2.0 is very usable though slight hazing and chromatic aberations. 3.0 is moreso and not so great for "keeper" shots but useful on occassion. the 1.4 and 2.0 extenders tend to be fairly compact and solid but the 3.0 have obvious flex.

Certainly worth having if you often need a little extra length and cant afford a bigger lens. Stick to a x1.4 if image quality is a must, especially if you have good lenses to use it with and stick with quality extenders (canon, Nikon etc for your gear). A x1.4 in the camera bag is there when you need it and takes little space. A x2.0 is good too if you dont mind the slight quality loss. If you're using kit lenses just save for a proper lense first as any extender will just amplify the deficiencies of the kit lens.