Thread: eq8 is here
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 06:23 PM
chrisshillito

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
I suppose the real question is, "Has the 3.35 update changed the caveats mentioned on the EQMod page about PC Direct Mode?"
Nothing has changed in that respect. The advice given on the EQMOD Project website is simply intended to steer folks down the route of what we consider "best practice". Using PC-Direct introduces an necessary variable into your setup over which the EQMOD developers have no control or influence. As as a consequence the most robust EQMOD setup will always be one that uses a direct hardware interface rather than relying on third party software.

PC-Direct is not a hardware solution like the EQDIR but rather is a software solution and all software algorithms come with inherent constraints. Until such time that Skywatcher/Synta publish details of exactly how PC-Direct mode works (buffering limits, timings, routing details etc.) there is no way I can guarantee that EQMOD is not operating in a way that may cause issues.

This all said, many folks choose to ignore this advice and have used PC-Direct with no issues at all. I have no problem with that, It is your equipment and your choice how it is used.

Chris.