View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 09:56 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Skywatcher 12” collapsible goto dob with synscan

I’m thinking late this year of upgrading my 10” Bintel solid tube dob to a SkyWatcher 12” collapsible goto dob with synscan

My 10” dob sits on a flat bed trolley with castors so I can just pull it out of the garage and set it up 5 metres away in the driveway at my observing position

I’m getting lazy trying to find everything in the sky and would find the goto a useful tool in finding more objects with satisfying results

My questions are -

1/ Could I manage the 12” myself on a flat bed trolley or parcel trolley with rubber tyres due to the additional weight ?

2/ Does the 12” have a clear advantage over the 10” in regard to observing power on small DSO objects, planetary and detailed lunar terrain

3/ Being a collapsible dob is there an issue with stray light ( street light 20 metres away ) crossing the open pathway of the optical tube ? ( I’m not in a totally dark site )

4/ How do you level such a beast for good az alt alignment ( my driveway has a 5 to 10 degree slope ?

5/ Does the 12” goto use the same 12 volt 5 amp power supply as say a HEQ5 mount ?

Any advice on the Skywatcher 12” collapsible goto dob is most welcome and appreciated