View Single Post
Old 20-08-2019, 04:03 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granada View Post
I'm interested to hear opinions / experiences / recommendations about wide angle lenses for shooting the night sky as I'm looking to buy one for my Canon 80D for under $500. There have been quite a few mention of the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 on the internet but I don't know how it compares to other wide angle lenses around the same price.
Samyang/Rokinon/Bower (all the same) have a range of lenses that seem goo for astro.

I have had a 14 2.8 and it was rubbish but then they are known for their variable quality. So if you get one I would recommend either getting one 2nd hand where the owner can provide sample images that are OK or buy from a store will takes returns.

Samyang 14 2.8 also has a higher quality model called XP. I believe they vary less.

Samyang 24 1.4 works. A lot of their fast lenses are quite good in this regard.

Not much else there to compete with them. Irix 15mm F2.4 is a good lens as well. I had one and liked. It also has a click stop at accurate infinity focus.

I wouldn't go slower than F2.8 though. You are already behind with an APSc sensor in terms of light gathering.

Greg.