View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 12:53 AM
slime

Chromatic Aberration on Jupiter in 8" Dob???

Hi crew

My first post and I can't believe how crazy it sounds.

I've a Bintel 8" Dob, bought about 6 years ago, and have just cleaned the mirrors for the first time. The past 2 nights I've had it out, spending some time on Jupiter and am seeing a blue coloured flaring on the side of the planet. The eyepieces used were 32mm and 11m Televue plossls and a 25mm GSO plossl. I believe that I've collimated it well using a cheshire first, then a laser to finish off. I've also been reading about star testing and using a 9mm GSO plossl, the rings seem fairly concentric, except for the shadow of the secondary, which is slightly off centre. I let the scope cool down outside for about an hour, but did leave the tube cover on. Even after about an hour of viewing, the flaring was still there. I could focus Jupiter quite well and see the 2 large cloud bands and make out about 4 other thin bands. I have slight astigmatism in my left eye, about 0.25, which is my viewing eye.

Given all the info above, does anyone have any clues as to what I'm seeing and what is the cause?

Thanks
Simon