View Single Post
Old 03-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

That's a stunning result Ben!
I had a quick peek at Jupiter last night before the cloud rolled in. I got to try my 5x Powermate out visually, it was impressive. I didn't even get close to hooking up the 178 sensor camera I recently got through here (Player one Neptune, still new). It has the slightly smaller 2.4um sensor but I thought Jupiter may come out OK with the 8" f5 Newt.
Not to be last night and according to the data on my phone weather thingie cloud will roll in here around midnight tonight and from Monday we have rain and thunderstorms through till the 17th and that's where the data stops.
The night before we had beautiful clear skies all night but I wasn't in the mood (migraine) to set up the mount or scope.Last night I was after a beautiful clear day and STUPID me never even thought to look at the weather thingie on the phone, cloud rolled in early. I left the mount and scope out for an hour in the hopes it would blow past but it wasn't to be, oh well, there's always next year.

I'd love to try Jupiter with my RC8 but the central obstruction makes it not great for planetary use. I've seen mention it can be overcome in editing but that's beyond my understanding or capabilities. The Newt and the step ladder (small 3 step thing with row of red LEDs along the bottom step when I remember to put the 18650 batteries into the attached holder) is the way to go I think.