View Single Post
Old 10-10-2020, 11:00 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Chris, your reflector should be fair game for planetary, but the refractor wouldn’t have the reach to show enough detail to be anything more than a novelty.

Since you’ve got the mono 1600 and filters already, why not give that a go. Be sure to make ruthless use of the Region of Interest (ROI) to be able to amp up the frame rate.

A 2x Barlow should be enough to get you in the ball park, and don’t be shy with the gain (just keep it within the analogue gain range).

I’ve been using a 462 this season and it has good QE and low noise, but it’s not essential to get results. Good collimation and focus is...
Yep, got it, get that ROI small to up the fps. Gain for the 1600 - what would be good - 200? Is it worth having the camera cooled since I have the option?

I'll try to get it working with the Baader FFC since it's probably the best glass I've got for the purpose, so it might be closer to 3x.

And I'll have to check the collimation first... It's been random clouds in recent nights, maybe it will give me a chance in the coming week.