View Single Post
Old 10-10-2020, 03:36 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

ZWO have brought out a new planet cam, the ASI462. It's a one shot colour cam with good dynamic range at high gain, which sounds good.

I have a 183mm Pro mono and a cheap Svbony SV305, which is the same as an ASI290mc. Both are good. Some people prefer mono with filters, some prefer OSC. Personally, I like my little OSC SV305. I find it a bit of a pain to refocus with filter changes when on the clock for something with a fast rotation rate like Jupiter.

Your present cameras will also work. The equation for optimal focal ratio is pixel size times 5. So my SV305 with 2.9um pixels is best at F14.5, and my 183 with 2.4um pixels is best at F12. This is just a guide. I often go a bit higher to F20. I just use a barlow in the imaging train.

I use Sharpcap since it supports the SV305. I like Autostakkert. It seems pretty good. V3 is about to be replaced by V4. So for me it's Sharpcap to capture, Autostakkert for stacking and Photoshop for levels and unsharp mask, although Gimp would wok just as well.