View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 11:48 AM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Forge,

Street lighting and cooling aside, you should be able to see objects, just with less detail.

It sounds like you collimation is off a bit. I would recommend checking your collimation.

Mel

QUOTE=Forge;1334716]Thanks again m11. Last night was one of the first relatively non-cloudy skies in Melbourne, so we took it out for a look with no luck.

Just to recap - the first thing we did after assembly was look through the eyepiece at a distant object and then made sure the crosshair in the finder's scope was centered at the object. This was during daytime last week. Last night we left the telescope out in the backyard for an hour to let it cool, and stayed outside ourselves for a good 10 minutes to let our eyes adjust to the dark.

The moon wasn't about so I used the finders scope to point to the brightest star in the sky (there were quite a few) and looked through the eyepiece but couldn't see anything. Infact we couldn't see any light at all through the eyepiece, even after adjusting it a bit.

What could I be doing wrong? I've read references to light pollution maps on these forums. Could it be that the street lighting could be affecting the viewing? How can I check?[/QUOTE]

Last edited by m11; 12-09-2017 at 08:43 PM.