View Single Post
Old 14-03-2016, 07:01 AM
glend (Glen)

At the risk of giving this thread more oxygen; PWMs have been used to control TECs for years now, and do a good job when coupled with the right camera, simple control circuits and cold finger design. I would suggest that those interested in workable DSLR cooling read rcheshire's excellent thread on this subject in the DIY forum here. Rowland conducted sufficient field testing and Dark to Bias sub comparisons to validate his design , which was also peer reviewed by other builders, myself included.

Effective DSLR cooling is all about cooling placement, and there is no substitute for direct sensor cooling, although there have been many attempts by well respected DSLR modder's like Gary Honis, and others. I would remind readers of the hype surrounding the various 'cooler box' designs of some years ago, which were even sold as commercial products such as the Orion version; these are all gone now as users soon found that external cooling was not giving them the performance expected and fell far short of successful cold finger designs.

It would be useful if mmalik were to spell out exactly what his objectives are for this thread - which seems to be an offshoot of his Cloudy Nights thread. Is he promoting a commercial interest in the supply of componentry and kits?

Last edited by glend; 14-03-2016 at 07:51 AM.