View Single Post
Old 23-11-2018, 01:13 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Chris, my workflow and i guess most others, evolves over time as i learn new methods andget to understand what each tool brings to the workflow.

To that end I have moved to using the desktop of pixinsight to build my workflow and evolve it by dragging each process to the desktop so its config is ready to rock on the next set of data later on. So I put my first icon at the top and put more underneath then start a new column until its all there. Plenty of space to split off at any point and put two side by side with different settings then work through the workflow twice to compare how the outcome is effected by that one change. Its helpful too when you arent sure about the values you set to then run another dataset through and see if the settings are too aggressive or not. Typically we capture with the same gear so the workflow should work equally well on all data, until it comes to masks where the shot itself determines the mask/change.

Along side this I have a note system too to fill out detail about each step, as somtimes there are things to look out for in particular that you want to be away of at a particular step. Generally each step is either enhancing Signal or reducing noise. Every step usually acts on both, one to your benefit and the other to the detriment of the data. Each step can compound what happened in previous steps so maybe you over do something early on that introduces a little noise you cant notice but by the time your workflow is done that noise is greatly amplified.
By workflow I mean from subs set through to the jpeg you post on facebook. So your final image may look better if you do noise reduce early or late depending on your use of the final images.
I tend to prefer doing lighter adjustments (less aggressive) at various stages rather than one big processing step at one point. But maybe I'll change my mind later on about that.
Keep in mind every time you make the image look better you are probably going to have extra noise to deal with later. Pixinsight has several tools that are really duplicates of each other just configured for different uses in the workflow, and i think ultimately everything can be done purely with pixelmath. So I go through others tutorials and pick up when and how people use these tools and why so i can try alternative approaches in my own. Its a perpetual tweaking machine And then a PI update adds something that negates a large chunk of your workflow with a single tool.