View Single Post
Old 03-12-2020, 08:36 PM
gregbradley

The thing I found that gave me trouble on the first time I did one was the ribbon cable connectors.

They don't just plug in. There is a little latch at the end of them that needs to be opened first and then they pull out easily and you can plug them back in easily then close the locking latch (a hinged piece of plastic the width of the receiving part). I tried to pull the cable out on my first try and it damaged the
ribbon cable and the connector unit. The locking latch flips up easily once you pry it up with a thin slot head screwdriver.

There is usually also a delicate pair of wires or a single wire that takes power to the LCD and its easily broken off the board its soldered to. So have a soldering iron available if you need to resolder a wire.

Also a good idea to take photos of each step so you can see what it looked like before you dismantle it in case you get lost on the reassembly.

If you use some silicone be careful as silicone and other sealants easily form little strings when you have finished doing a small bead and you can drag them back onto the sensor and stain the sensor glass. Acetone will remove it easily. Not sure what that does to antireflection coatings though.
Best test it on something unimportant.

Greg.