View Single Post
Old 28-04-2015, 07:49 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Some useful info, thanks all.
I have 3 DSLRs to choose from and a ZWO ASI120mc. The most likely DSLR will be the 450D with a pixel size of 5.2 um, oversampling at .66.
The other option would be the SONY A77v which has 3.9 um pixels ( 24 meg ) and comes in at .5

Lower modes = smaller files .. Yes, but still uses the whole sensor so it effectively use larger blocks of pixels as one unit, hence a form of 'binning'.

I know the f8 spec is unusual these days, an older specification, it is an old mirror. But the idea was to make a planetary and galaxy capable scope needing the longer FL. It also reduces the inherent coma of modern short fl scopes.
It will be in some ways a pain to use as it won't fit parked in the Ob, too dang long and high but it's another option and a demanding fun project.

Greg > Yeah, NZ is pretty good mostly, a bit cloudy maybe. Depends a bit on weather direction. Northerlies give warm humid air from the tropics, southerlies can be crystal cold clear. Generally though the air is pretty good, minimal dust and smoke as NZ is not very wide and the prevailing winds push it all out towards Sth America.
I'm in Auckland, about 10 km from the CBD East of me, not the best location but I'm situated part way up the flanks of a small volcano (extinct) so a wee bit of extra altitude to get over the suburban fug. I'm also away from most local street lights and with a good southerly aspect.
Usual seeing is about mag 4 or 5, I can see M42 glowing naked eye on a good night. Don't seem to be too affected by jet streams to my knowledge.
Lucky ...