Thread: Morning Planets
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2022, 08:15 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

This morning, I could easily see Venus and Jupiter in the same field at 100x using an ortho EP. I estimated the distance between them to be slightly less than 0.3 degrees.

Venus was not quite yet perpendicular to Jupiter and its moons. I assume this shows that I viewed it in an hour or so before closest approach.

Jupiter's disc looked much larger than that of Venus. Side by side, Jupiter looked to be just shy of twice as large, but it was a different scenario when looking at Jupiter' equatorial diameter. Then it looked slightly more than twice the size. Thus having Venus in view really brought home to me the amount of Jupiter's pole flatting.

Jupiter's size was also flattered by it being a 'full' disc, whereas Venus was distinctly gibbous.

As dawn approach, Jupiter faded into a ghostly resemblance of its former glory. In contrast, Venus continued to shine brightly.

Below as some images taken with my Iphone with settings up to 8x. I also managed, a poor, but educational image by using the Iphone with my 80mm ED scope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (N592.jpg)
16.0 KB58 views
Click for full-size image (N593.jpg)
30.8 KB55 views
Click for full-size image (N594.jpg)
22.7 KB56 views
Click for full-size image (N596.jpg)
17.0 KB61 views
Click for full-size image (N595.jpg)
10.3 KB53 views