View Single Post
Old 23-10-2018, 04:32 PM
astro744

Thanks raymo but I too concur with Allan_L. The issue with the stop inside the 12mm collar preventing 2" accessories from being fully inserted is puzzling since removing this stop would have no impact on the use of the focuser both visially or photographically.

I have no desire to photograph with this telescope and am aware of the pros and cons of various focusers out there and that some are better designed to equip a camera than others. In fact the best photo-visual focuser that I have ever used and still have is the Tectron Telescopes focuser made by the same company that used to make quality collimation tools (Sarasota, Florida). I only replaced it on my 6" f5.5 because I not longer do photography and this focuser also has no compression clamps although I will replace brass screws with nylon one day.

This focuser had a separate base plate to which you either insert the visual body or photo body and they were designed such that the photo body could be made parfocal with the visual body to suit any eyepiece/SLR combination. It worked very well for me at the time.

Back to the SW stop issue, I too will file it out as it is really a non-essential item. No other focuser that I have come across prevents accessories from being inserted inside the draw tube.

As to the original post I have not used a GSO scope so cannot compare but the 10" SW does the kids nicely and is not too heavy and has plenty of aperture in a compact size. I would recommend looking in a store at both before you buy and judge for yourself.