View Single Post
Old 15-03-2018, 11:03 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

It may not be “hardcore”, whatever that is, but it is not without its flaws, no camera is. The IMX183 has the potential to be an excellent camera.

I raise this as I own an IMX178 based camera - the ZWO ASI178MM-Cool - which employs the same technology as the IMX183, the latter being a larger (more megapixels) version of the former, so I’m not speculating idly from anecdotal internet reports.

All of the Sony sensors suffer from amp glow to a greater or lesser extent. With the 178, the starburst glow is in the top right corner, whereas with the 183 it’s centre right.

To use shorter exposures at high gain will provoke the evil amp glow. It’s tricky to calibrate out using appropriate methods with the ZWO camera. Others may be better.

Then there’s the demon of sensor size. The 183 is 1/3 the size of the APS-C Nikon sensor. At the same focal length, that’s a lot of FOV to lose. And Nikon have already added circuitry/software to eliminate the amp glow. Maybe Altair have too?

Last edited by Camelopardalis; 15-03-2018 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Corrected sensor size calculation