View Single Post
Old 24-09-2007, 03:43 PM
§AB
Its only a column of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougAdams View Post
Man, you're pulling 416x with a 10" scope! How did you find the hand tracking? I tried all sorts of mods with my 12" but never got it satisfactorily smooth - never made it as far as Ebony Star though

Four craterlets in Plato is great too!
Yep 416x on the Tarantula was the clincher! The stars didn't appear as sharp as at 166x for example, but near the limit of the theoretical magnification limit for a 10" scope and with 5-6/10 seeing that was to be expected, but I tell ya, at 416x, the Nebula itself was far superior to the 166x view. I could trace swaths of nebulosity well beyond the main filaments - in bright moonlight

As for as tracking goes, the Alt motion is smooth and free from jerkiness, but the Az seems a bit stiff but this being my first large Dob I have nothing to compare it to thus I can't really jump to conclusions.

The Plato craterlets were remarkably easy at 166x. I could resolve the double craterlet without even trying . At 227x, during breaks in the seeing the craterlets were even easier. In my 4.5", I don't think I've ever resolved it even in good seeing it and in that scope the view goes soft over about 200x.

Well, tonight looks semi-prommising, will make a sketch of Jupiter. Early morning tomorrow should be clear so I'll be tracking down M42 with the narrowband