View Single Post
Old 28-10-2018, 09:20 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_uk View Post
Hello,
I was looking for some advice on how to get the most out of my trip from an amateur astronomer's angle. Whilst my trip is not primarily for astronomy I feel it would be a shame to leave my cloudy northern shores to beautiful Australia and New Zealand without capitalising on the southern objects and amazing skies.
I've looked into astronomy tours but have yet to find anything appealing and I was hoping I could get some advice or recommendations on tours, scope hire or even clubs I could join. Whilst I cannot bring my own scope I can bring a nice collection of Televue eye pieces.
We will be in the following places:
Sydney - 24-25th Nov, 30th-1st
Uluru - 26th-30th
Auckland NZ - 13th-16th
Any advice would be appreciated, i'm honestly looking into what it would cost to bring my scope but it would not be fun to drag that around
Hi Dan,
Welcome to IceInSpace

Unfortunately your arrival in Sydney coincides with the November Full Moon. That makes Deep Sky Faint Fuzzies a bit difficult to organise.
However, towards the end of your trip may be OK if the weather gods play fair. (they've been a bit mischievous of late)
If you can organise to get yourself to the Central Coast (about 90 minutes north of Sydney) I can try to organise a viewing night at our local dark site. Mangrove Mountain. (send me a PM through IIS closer to the time if you are interested)

For Uluru, you may like to try Voyages Outback Sky Journeys

Good luck and good travels
Allan