View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 02:55 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
The microscope has 110 volts so I purchased a step down transformer from Jaycar however the input on the transformer only has two holes whereas the plug on the microscope has three prongs ...an earth...I am thinking just to cut off the earth plug making the microscope plug now a two prong unit and able to plug into the step down transformer...does anyone see any problem in doing this?
Alex

Hi Alex,

I would definitely try to get it earthed, otherwise you could be in for a nasty shock (pun sorta half-intended).

I had the same situation with my microscope - the transformer was not earthed. I think you *can get them earthed, which might be he best way. Failing that, you can get an old plug and remove or safely terminate the + and - wires, leaving only the earth and attach that to the earth pin so at least it is grounded, but it takes up two plugs (one for the earth lead, the other for the transformer). There's also the danger that it can detatch unawares, thus exposing you to risk unknowingly.

As always, be careful if you're messing with mains electricity. You want to have a continuity tester to make sure you're playing with the right wires, and know which wires are which, obviously.

The above solution isn't ideal, but it got me through until I managed to figure out what they'd done wrong inside the unit.

Cheers

Markus