View Single Post
Old 29-06-2017, 01:05 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Am I right in assuming you want a camera that doesn't require an external power source and computer to operate?

Otherwise I'm wondering if the QHY/ZWO camera might be an option as you can get cameras that can be easily cooled. I like my Canon 6D but as noted, the thermal noise when the temperatures are warm is not great. With these new cameras, they've got the cooling integrated and they are targeted at astro work.

Although I have not used it, the ZWO cameras can be controlled from Android devices, so you might be able to avoid needing a computer (there's probably something similar for other brands?). And I suspect a small portable power source for the cooling (when needed) might be possible, although most likely the largest sticking point for this solution.

I'm considering getting the necessary bits to try this approach with my Polarie and the ASI1600MM-C I've got (although I'll still use a little laptop for controlling it all). I'd be adding my filter wheel to it, but with the right adapters/spacers, I think I should be able to use the Canon lenses ok and not too much weight - might need to get the extension kit though for the Polarie. However, this is down the list for now until I get through my other tasks/projects.