View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Paul Haese

Don't agree with Ernie about which is better. I have seen great images from both camera's (this is what I am known for really; planetary imaging, so I should know). The IS colour camera is most likely going to suit your needs more at this stage Greg. Get used to planetary imaging first before jumping into the really deep end. It ain't as easy as some might think. You will find issues with your cooling of your gear and becoming accustomed to much higher focal lengths can be daunting. Start with straight colour and then when you start producing good images go to monochrome (that is just my advice )

The camera from point grey can only do 120 fps in extremely bright circumstances. If you were imaging the sun, you could nearly get to that. The moon around 80fps with a 14" and some magnification.

Firecapture is made for astro dudes by an astro dude. It works better than fly capture.

Want a tip, wait for the next version of the camera. Some really cool stuff is going to happen in the next year or so.