View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 09:30 PM
andrew

Canon EF17-40mm f/4L or Sigma 10-20mm or Canon EF-S 17-85mm or something else??

Well I'm in the market for a new lens for my 400D. I currently have just the kit lens' that came with the camera. My budget is preferably < $1000. I would want to use the lens primarily for (wide-angle) astrophotography, but perhaps some general purpose photography too.

I've been researching the past couple of days, including taking a read of Terry's guide to lens' for astrophotography, which was very helpful Having read that, I was sure I would get the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L, but then I read this review for it, which seems to indicate that this lens would not be much of an upgrade from the kit lens (18-55mm) when fitted to a 400D. Maybe this is not the case when it comes to using the lens specifically for astrophotography, I'm not sure...

Then someone suggested the Sigma 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 to me, which has a very attractive price tag ($555 at DDP) but I've no idea how it performs for astrophotography use Then throw in the Canon 17-85mm, which I've read some good reviews for....and now I'm completely confused which way to go

Any help on this would be appreciated, I still think I'm headed toward the 17-40mm, but I may need some further convincing