View Single Post
Old 26-04-2018, 03:57 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

I realise vibrations are not good for imaging, but I'm trying to get a feel for the source of them, and the order of magnitude. Natural frequency of vibration, oscillations etc are a consideration where the source of vibration is cyclic and the freq of the source matches the natural freq of vib'n of the pier/building/whatever. If the source is just a single bump, or footstep, then the vibration magnitude will drop to zero, and pretty quickly based on the sizes of piers commonly used. I would have thought this a nominal concern only.

I also realise that longer piers like Joshua is proposing are more susceptible. But really, how big are these vibrations? I know they exist, but do they cause an issue in the real world. Have you had an issue with them?

Many people say they put sand/concrete/foam whatever in the pier to dampen them. And that's fine. But did they do it because they experienced a real issue that needed to be dealt with, or did they do it because they read that it will dampen vibrations, so they thought it would be a good idea to do so. They may have been solving an issue that doesn't exist.

If you have some thumping or large impacts going on around your pier, significant enough to affect your imaging, you'd be best addressing the source of the thumping. I wouldn't have thought that slew/focus motor vibrations come anywhere near affecting images, and you're not imaging while slewing or adjusting focus anyway.