View Single Post
Old 25-04-2018, 11:23 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Josh,

I can't offer any advice but I am quite interested in your project as I also would like to get my future obs up off the ground, though for slightly different reasons. I'm in an urban back-yard and the raised obs would increase my access to the sky and greatly limit the effects of the neighbour's lights. I hope to get the floor 1.5 - 2.0m above the ground, most likely at the lower end of that range. The important thing is to get the top of my walls above the level of the neighbour's eves.

It seems the extra difficulties compared to a standard obs are getting the 'pier' right and working at heights during construction. I have a pier that came out of a ground-level obs and I plan to build base to go under it. I'm thinking of a solid top plate for the pier section to bolt to (15mm plate??) supported on 4 legs slightly splayed out to form a pyramid with cross braces between them. I'm debating whether to concrete the legs into the ground or have a base plate on each leg that bolts to the concrete. The former sounds more sturdy but the latter is easier to build (and remove if ever necessary).

Even if my knees didn't tremble while changing a light globe, working at heights makes everything more difficult. Wall sections will have to be lifted onto the floor and then stood up and I expect that much of the roof will be assembled in place. I haven't even contemplated the runners. I have some scaffolding but probably not enough.

Your post has at least made me thing about this project again, which is good. I'll be pleased to hear how your project progresses.

thanks,
David