View Single Post
Old 18-07-2017, 07:47 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Thanks for the replies and sorry for letting he thread go cold, it's a bad habit I must get ride of.

It seems that perhaps I could have a slightly smaller building. However the replies are not always clear as to whether the scope is used for imaging or visual observing. You need a lot less room around an imaging rig than you do for visual observing. I've also taken the point that future-proofing the obs is a good idea and slightly too big now is better than slightly too small later.

I recall someone commenting, ruefully, about the number of times he had hit his head on the low door to his obs. I suppose the door should either be tall enough or way too low - having it 50mm too low is a recipe for a scalping. Personally I'll opt for 'tall enough', especially as I think I can do it without losing any sky. However I will need to keep the side wall height down and the idea of having a pitched roof is interesting. I'm not looking at the walls as just something that gets in the way, they also have a positive function. They need to act as a light shield and a wind break. Minimising stray light is another argument for raising the observatory slightly. If I could have the top of the walls above the offending lights it would be great but I doubt I can manage that. I expect I'll have some sort of pop-up light shields in a couple of directions.

Anyway, I'll continue reading and planning.