Thread: Mount Upgrade
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2018, 08:24 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
I can't see the ASA mounts at all in the INDI list, so looks like you're right there. The 10 microns seem to be equipped with encoders (I couldn't see configurations without? maybe I didn't look hard enough) and I'm not sure how useful they are for me, since I plate solve everywhere.

And to make it clear - I can't remember the last time I did any visual stuff. I want this for AP only. I have something suitable for any rare visual stuff I'm likely to do.
10 Micron mounts have absolute encoders that are almost as accurate as the ASA ones. With 10 Micron you can create a pointing model using the handset and it should be easily controllable directly through INDI.

As others have mentioned, the main difference between a EQ6/G11 or anything of that ilk is that the mount fades into the background. My DDM60 does take a bit longer to set up than my EQ6 but I can still beat astronomical darkness anyway and I’m rarely in a rush. The difference is that When I was using the EQ6, some nights I’d have to fight to get decent results, other nights the gremlins would stick around and 120s exposures would have issues. With the DDM60 I just tell it to go somewhere, it’ll be accurate to within 2 pixels without plate solving and it will keep it centred all night without autoguiding.