Thread: Mount Upgrade
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2018, 08:10 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I went from a quite comparable mount (EQ6) to an ASA DDM60 and haven’t ever looked back. It use it exclusively for astrophotography and I’d argue that the ASA mounts are the best that money can buy for what they do best.

In saying that however, the ASA mounts are not for you. I don’t think they play as well with INDI and even if they do, they’re not the most user friendly for visual. If I want to go visual I use my EQ6.

If you’re wanting it for visual I’d limit myself to AstroPhysics or 10 Micron as both of them can easily be used for field work (no laptop).
I can't see the ASA mounts at all in the INDI list, so looks like you're right there. The 10 microns seem to be equipped with encoders (I couldn't see configurations without? maybe I didn't look hard enough) and I'm not sure how useful they are for me, since I plate solve everywhere.

And to make it clear - I can't remember the last time I did any visual stuff. I want this for AP only. I have something suitable for any rare visual stuff I'm likely to do.