View Single Post
Old 23-07-2012, 01:44 PM
whzzz28 (Nathan)

Filter wheel replacement

Ok, so the QHY9 filter wheel just does not fit with my setup. The plastic motor/electronics cover is in the way, so now i am looking at replacing it (only had it for a week as well!). So here comes another wad of cash for a FW and filters...

The logical replacement is an SX wheel, but i thought i would get confirmation on my idea before purchasing in case i have left something out.

Back focus needed: 55mm.
QHY9 sensor to edge: 15mm
QHY window: 12mm
SX filter wheel: 29mm (including adapters according to their site)
So thats 56mm, on top of the 2-3mm for filters.
This will be fine, yes?

So it will be: Focuser -> FF/reducer -> FW -> QHY window -> QHY9.
No spacers.

I will probably purchase an OAG at the same time as i do plan on getting an RC at some point in the near future (Vixen VC200L or Meade LX200 are looking good). Can't use the OAG with the refractors as the back focus on the FF/reducer isn't enough.

I also planned on getting the 36mm 7 position wheel so i can throw some NB filters in as well. I have seen advice that this won't generate any vignetting, but i'm not so sure about that... Theres a good 34~mm to the filters...
Otherwise i guess i'll make do with a 2" and have to change the wheels.

My FF/reducer's has a t-thread male adapter so i guess the SXUFW-UM36T is what i am after (Connections T-Thread female i/p & male o/p.)?

With this i can finally use the Televue RFL-4087 reducer ive had sitting around doing nothing. Sadly i can't put a 2.5" moonlite focuser on my Meade ED80, or i'd be all over that as well - so i'll just have to make do with the Hotech FF.

Thanks.