View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 07:18 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Hi Swagman,

Lasers are great and will do well for you with all the things you have mentioned.

I used to use one and it was very easy to use the hand controller for my scope to slew to the star using the laser as a guide. I use this when polar aligning. 10mw Green laser is perfect.

Lasers are very useful for this and they are safe when used with common sense. There are a few people that think lasers are bad but everyone I have met that use lasers are intelligent people that have common sense and there have been 0 negative issues. I guess some people have seen idiots use lasers.

Quote:
1 Would there be a problem (legally and practically) in using a laser pointer of sufficient power to be suitable for this purpose
Check with your local state laws. Some require that you are part of an astronomy club but other states may be different.

Practically they are fun and easy to use, I used to simply hold my finger on the laser on button whilst slewing. The laser only needs to be on for a short amount of time.

Quote:
2 What would be the best bracket with which to replace the red dot finder on the Prodigy's 6 inch SCT tube. I would still like to do this to allow the use of a small optical finder.
This works well, see pics, home made but you can see how easy it would be to make of buy something similar.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	222329

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	222330

Quote:
3 What would the best way be to secure such a bracket to the SCT tube.
Any advice will be gratefully received
Double sided auto adhesive tape - works very well so make sure you put it somewhere that does not get in the way of other bits on tube.

Cheers,

Damien.